Thursday, January 24, 2008

ends justify means?

I'm no mood to blog, more precise no mood to do anything. Being melancholic person is always moody, and when you are in no mood, you can't do anything. You prefer to be lonely, not to be disturbed, enjoying loneliness. What a mellow man!!

One of thoughts today: does ends justify means/tools? A lot of phragmatical Christian thinks this way. Christian is happy religion, so why need to learn so many about doctrines. Why make things so complicated? If the ends is good or if I have good motivation, why I can't do this? A lot more similar questions were thrown by a pragmatist.

I have no mood to discuss this issue concisely. Just a brief summary: both ends and means have to be good. A lot of people who think like Robin Hood, to help by stealing. In worship to God, God not only judges our heart, but also what we offer in worship. Both heart and offerings have to be the best. Can you imagine if a very rich person only give a dollar for his offering? He would say he is very sincere, and he is joyful to give that dollar to church, but it is certainly not his best. Both his heart and money is not for God.

A Christmas reflection while I was Indonesia taught me one thing. If I love God, not only I give offerings sincerely, joyfully, but also I have to feel the pain of giving. I know that this money is worth to me, but I sincerely give it for the kingdom of God. It's paradox; Christian life is always full of paradox.

This is a very often debated issue: if rock music can bring other people to Christ, why not we use it? For discussing this, people who knows music would offer better explanation than me. Does ends justify means? The answer is obviously no. That's why Christian ethics is always not easy.

3 comments:

ardianto86 said...

Alo jet =p

Anonymous said...

so, pak tong talked abt it today, haha. now u got ur answer.

Anonymous said...

I wrote first before Pak Tong khotbah. so I guess we have some telepati between us haha.